It can be very difficult to figure out how to find a reputable roofing contractor. There are many companies who show up only after storms and disappear long before the work is finished. That often leaves homeowners looking for a second company to fix mistakes, and cutting deeper into savings or fighting with their insurance providers.
J & B West Roofing and Construction never wants you to worry about choosing a trusted roofing company. We’ve put together five tips to consider and five questions to ask a roofing contractor so you can always stay confident with your decision.
No matter who you work with, we hope this will help you better understand how to choose a roofing contractor.
5 Questions to Ask a Roofing Contractor
- Is your company licensed, bonded and insured? You as the homeowner may be held liable if the contractor is underinsured. No license means that no inspections are performed.
- Where are you headquartered and where is your local office? You always want a local contractor to avoid scammers who follow storms and so you can easily check references, insurance and more.
- Will you put your offer and the job details in writing? If someone won’t put it in writing beforehand, then you have no contracted price, meaning you could see major sticker shock when all is said and done. You need a contract that is legally binding to hold the contractor accountable.
- What is your payment schedule? Avoid roofing companies who want everything paid up front. Industry standard practices include an initial deposit with balance due upon completion.
- Are you a certified installer for your products? Certified contractors typically offer better warranties and follow stricter procedures. Improper installations from others can void warranties.
- Do you offer emergency services in my area? A contractor who offers emergency services often has quick access to materials, operates outside of traditional business hours, and is likely to honor workmanship warranties and be around in the future.
Our 5 Favorite Tips for How To Choose A Roofing Contractor
- Look for someone who has been in business for at least 5 years in your specific area.
- Ask for a free inspection and written proposal with potential additional expenses listed with amounts.
- Ask to see their business information such as BBB membership and confirm who your point of contact would be every step of the way.
- Look for certifications and memberships in industry associations.
- Look for references, ask previous customers if they are happy or look online for customer reviews.
Never decide on price alone. Using these five factors will give you a good checklist to review multiple contractors. Once you’ve got a list of viable companies to work with, then it’s time to consider price and request specific bids.
How to Choose a Roofing Contractor
Look no further than J & B West Roofing and Construction when you need a strong and reputable roofing contractor in Northwest Indiana. We offer great prices on trusted materials, additional warranties, timely installations and provide expertise on all of the additional services the exterior of your home may need.
We’re happy to discuss all of these questions and more with you. Our team will provide you with a free evaluation and inspection so you can know what to expect before work ever begins. These no-obligation quotes can even help you judge other bids, which J & B West Roofing and Construction will often meet or beat.
Learn more and set up a time for your inspection by going online or by calling (219) 363-6151.